It’s getting closer to spring … and for us that means it’s almost blueberry picking season again.
Every year, we get lots of blueberries from Tim’s dad, and I end up freezing a lot of them. Since we will hopefully be getting more blueberries this year, I need to clear out my stash. Hence these yummy mini blueberry muffins.
This recipe came courtesy of Your Cup of Cake, but has a few tweaks here and there.
What you need:
- 2 cups flour
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 3 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 egg, well beaten
- 2/3 cup milk
- 1/3 cup oil
- 1 cup fresh or 3/4 cup frozen blueberries (My blueberries were fresh, that I froze, but I went with the 3/4 cup. Next time I will use the 1 cup. Some of my muffins were missing some blueberries.)
- 1/2 tsp flour for blueberries
- 1/4 cup sugar or brown sugar (I made two toppings (one brown, one white) to see which tasted better and everyone loved the brown.)
- 1 Tbsp butter softened
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
(The brown sugar topping was very wet. In the future, I might add some flour to make it crumble a bit more.)
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Combine flour, sugar, baking powder and salt.
- In a separate bowl, mix egg, milk and oil (using a fork works well).
- Pour egg mixture into dry ingredients and mix just until combined.
- Mix blueberries with 1/2 tsp flour and then gently fold into the batter.
- Fill muffin cups 2/3 full (I used a pastry bag/Ziplock bag).
- Prepare streusel: Mix dry ingredients and then cut butter into mixture until it turns into crumbs.
- Sprinkle over muffins.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes (15 minutes for mini muffins) or until tops spring back.
Yield: About 43 mini muffins